Saturday, November 14, 2009

So I bought the car...

I bought the 1966 Mustang and towed it back to my house. I began to go through the car and figured I could just do a few things and get her road ready. Well to my surprise, it became more work than I imagined. Someone had welded partial floor pans on top of the rusted ones. The inner rocker panels on both sides were rusted out. The engine had been running low on oil for who knows how long and someone jammed electrical tape into the PCV valve because it was clacking (that means the PCV valve needs replacing). So I just started taking it all apart in my garage and worked on everything. Labeling is very important. Bagging and boxing everything you can.



I look happy :-)


The floors. Amateur body shop. This was ugly work. New floor panels welded on top of the rusted ones. What were they thinking?  "Let's slap her together, Bondo the crap out of it, spray it with undercoating and sell it!"



 
Here you can see when I cut the floor pan out to find another floor pan.  I was being careful where I cut because I wanted to save the bolt hole for the seat belts.


The joy of removing old rusted floors.  You can see the rusted inner rocker.  The outer rocker was completely zero rust.  Weird.  Here I am removing part of the floor, under that is the seat reinforcement pan.

You can see one of the floor pans hanging on the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment