Saturday, November 14, 2009

How It All Started

Me and my brother grew up around cars. It became a hobby that we enjoyed. Our dad got us started tinkering on cars and we would work on the family cars doing what ever needed to be done. Water pumps, radiators, brakes, anything but transmissions and engines. I would read the Hot Rod Magazine and think about the car that I wanted when I was old enough to drive one. I ended up with a hand me down from the family tree. A 1961 Galaxie four door.



(This pic is not of the car mentioned, but close)






The Galaxie belonged to my grandmother on my mothers side. When she passed on, my mother got the car then my brother, then me. By the time I got the Galaxie, it was nicknamed the "Blue Goose". It had been in a wreak and we put a 1962 Galaxie fender and bumper on the car. It was a fun car with a lot of room. Damn drum brakes didn't do too well and you would have to be prepared to stop. Ha ha! But the transmission, engine and drum brakes started to cause too many problems and the Blue Goose was parked behind the house and never drove again until someone bought it one day.

My next car would be a life changing car. A 1969 Mach 1. I found the car in the local newspaper for sale and we went and looked at it. Black with Keystone classic rims, wide tires and air shocks in the back for tire clearance. It needed work but I wanted the car because we all wanted a Mustang. So we bought the Stang.

(This is not the same car, but close. If I find a pic I will edit this post)



My 1969 Mach 1 would transform over the years. Somewhere down the line somebody put the wrong doors or door panels on the Mach 1 with doors from a 1969 Coupe. Headers, a Mr. Gasket shifter, and don't forget the Keystone Classic rims. It looked cool, it was fast and needed some work. I drove it everywhere. One of my friends from school bought the same car as mine except his was original down to the rims. One day he called me and said that someone had slammed into the back of his Mach 1 and totaled it. He asked me if I wanted any parts. He just wants to keep the engine and transmission. I bought his car for parts, and began to transform my Mach 1 into a stock Mach 1. That was when I realized that old cars are worth more and look better as close to original as possible.

I sold the Mach 1 after I moved out from my parents house and started to live on my own. It would be years again before I own another Mustang.

I moved to Virginia in 1991 and lived with my brother. It wasn't until 1992 when I bought my next Mustang. A 1992 Mustang GT. Soon after I bought my own house with a two car garage knowing that I was going to one day own another piece of history. And in 1999 I bought my 1966 Mustang Convertible.











The picture of the 92 GT in the drive way and you can see the 66 in the garage. The 66 by it's self is the pic of the car in the Ford Trader Magazine. I bought that car and then I found out everything that was wrong with it. I sold the 1992 GT in 2003. I am still working on the 66 Convertible. My story will continue.... James

1 comment:

  1. James, Thanks for blogging your car. I enjoyed reading your experiences. Your blog motivates me to go out and get back to work on my own car! :-)

    - Alex O. (68vert.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete