Sunday, May 23, 2010

Dropping the Top! part II

This is the stage where I am cleaning up the convertible top frame for paint.


Bow #1.  Cleaning it up with a wire wheel on a drill.  First I have to remove the tack strip.  It is riveted in place.  Cut the rivets with the Dremel tool.




Bow #2.  Not bad. You can see the felt.




Inside the media blaster.  I took the inlet ballast off to allow for the extra size of the part to blast.




Parts from Bow #2 side mount.  I'll blast these also.

Bow #3 was a pain.  These screws would not budge.  I will have to cut them out, drill, and tap.




The inside damage from rust.  The thick felt I mentioned before rested in this area.  Thus, moisture took it's toll.  I'm sure it is not as bad as some.  But this part was never re-manufactured.  So you have to either make a new one or use what you got.



Drill out the screws.  Start with the smallest drill bit first the move up in size.  Run the drill slow.  Fast speed will just kill the drill bit at this point.  It cuts much better at slow speeds and with oil as a cutting agent.  I use WD40. Not the best for cutting, but it's all I had at the time.  When the bit stops cutting, you ruined it.  You have to go easy on the small bits.




After drilling, I cut in from the side with a Dremel cutoff wheel and then a wedge punch to get under the edge.  Pop it!




Tap all the screw holes.  Then blast it and paint it.


Blasted.  Paint next.



Bow #4


Cleaned it up with a wire wheel.


Putting the frame back together.









Bows 2, 3, and 4 installed.


Bow 1 installed.


Rivet a new tack strip onto bow #1.



Done. Need to tweak a few bolts and I will remove the frame and store it and get the body work finished for paint.

2 comments:

  1. Nice work James! This entry will be a reference for when I restore my frame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alex. You fix my doors and fenders and I will restore your frame! LOL

    ReplyDelete