Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Driver Side Apron Doctor Do-Over

Many moons ago I bought and replaced the inside engine bay drivers side apron because it had a huge crack across it from the wreck it was in.  And this was at the beginning of my restoration.  I ordered the apron and attempted to weld it with a brazing rod and a torch.  It worked but there were no holes for the fender mount.  No problem, I'll make my own!  Now that I am test fitting the fenders, the holes didn't really match up and my attempt to transfer the VIN number from the old apron to the new really didn't look all that good.  So I bought a new apron that already had the holes in it because unless you have a good hand or a metal punch, these holes are very hard to reproduce.  I then aligned the panel with the fender on (smart move) and tack  welded the apron in place.  Transferred the ugly VIN number to the back apron, and moved the nicer VIN number to the front. You don't see the back VIN unless the fender is off anyway.  So here is the pics.


Old apron

 Removed the old metal

New apron 

Getting ready for alignment.


 Fender in place to align the holes with the fender (very important)

 Transfer of the VIN from the old panel


 Getting the VIN ready for welding




There you go!

6 comments:

  1. James, your work was deja vu for me when I did my right front apron. Nice job on the VIN grafting. You're doing a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. James:

    Great post. Thank you. I am at exactly the same repair point on a 68 coupe (father/son project). I ordered a replacement inner fender apron that did not come with the fender c-clip openings cut in. Like you, I have no problem making my own openings. It appears that you did a great job reproducing those openings on your panel. What tools/techniques did you find worked the best to make the new openings? Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much for the positive feedback.


    Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to laugh when I read this because your experience here is the story of my life--redoing the things you did in the early stages of restoration when you still suck. This will be exactly why I am re-skinning the door I already reskinned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha Ha! Yes it was a point in time when I wish I had the right tools and knowledge that all panels are not cut / fit the way you wanted them to be.

    ReplyDelete