Friday, March 5, 2010

Nice rear... ahh quarter panel part II

This is pics of the work I did on the front half of the driver-side rear quarter panel.


This is the area where the driver side door meets the rear quarter panel.  The rear quarter panel was replaced but they did a really poor job of fitting and welding as can been seen in this pic.  Angle grinders are good for somethings.  Dremel tools are better for the small stuff!  :-)



This is the template I setup for the replacement section.


After cutting out the bad part I made a template of the section and this is the new metal in place ready for welding.




After the weld and clean up.




A little spot putty, wet sanding and...




I primed it in gray and then used seam sealer with a toothbrush.  I thought I had a pic.  Will look for it.  Sand, paint, sand, paint, shoot with a little Tahoe Turquoise, and there you can see my labor of detail.  This is what it suppose to look like.  :-)




Looks good.  I'm sure I'll re-do part of it before I paint the whole car.  LOL


4 comments:

  1. Looks good James. Are convertibles more prone to rust in that area of the quarter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the quarter panels rust more in the trunk drop off because the drain gets clogged. Someone replaced both quarter panels and did a crappy job and hacked up the point where the panel mounts in that area. I almost want to replace them. There is a rubber gasket that covers some of that area but you can still see the poor work they did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've inspired me to redo my quarter/striker panel seams one more time. I left some ugly sheet metal on those seams on my car that I really need to clean up and smooth out with filler. Thanks James!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I posted all my re-do's I would need a new blog site! LOL!

    ReplyDelete